Some people will not have any symptoms, or may not notice the lice or eggs, so you may not know whether you or your partner has pubic lice.
It can take several weeks after coming into contact with pubic lice before signs and symptoms may appear. You might notice:
- Itching in the affected areas
- Black powdery droppings from the lice in your underwear
- Brown eggs on pubic or other body hair
- Irritation and inflammation in the affected area, sometimes caused by scratching
- Sky-blue spots (which disappear within a few days) or very tiny specks of blood on the skin